KOVR-TV (CBS), Special Projects Producer
Sacramento, CA, July 2011–Present
- Pitched, developed and wrote segments for award-winning Call Kurtis nightly consumer franchise and On the Money government waste franchise.
- Developed major investigations using computer-assisted reporting and public documents.
- Coordinated undercover projects and confrontations.
- Worked directly with CBS corporate attorneys to plan and write investigations.
- Edited promoted stories and sweeps pieces for broadcast.
- Tailored stories for Web and mobile with AP Style articles, pictures, videos and extras on WordPress-based CBSSacramento.com.
|Windows 7, 8||•••••|
|Mac OS X||•••••|
|Access & Excel||•••••|
|Google Fusion Tables||••••|
|Final Cut Pro||•••••|
Art & Design
|Sound Studio 3||•••••|
Web & Programming
Annenberg TV News, Executive Producer
Los Angeles, May 2010–July 2011
- Managed editorial content of live newscasts, Web projects and staff of 250.
- Pitched, developed and produced weekly Sports Extra series, ATVN’s most popular show of 2010-11.
- Pitched, developed and organized ATVN’s first live-all-night election coverage, with more than 30 reporters, producers and technical operators live from watch parties all over California.
- Planned and directed ATVN’s first extended-length live coverage for President Barack Obama’s USC rally.
- Directed ATVN’s special Japan earthquake coverage from Tokyo, including video and interviews from radioactive areas.
- Developed and executed detailed marketing plan goals, expanding hyperlocal coverage and nearly tripling viewership and Web traffic using social networking and traditional methods.
- Designed look and features for new, Drupal-powered website and managed all Web operations and social presence.
NBC Affiliate KNBC Channel 4, Investigative Dept. Intern/Researcher
Los Angeles, May–August 2009, May–October 2010
- Researched documents, laws and records for & worked directly with reporter Joel Grover and producer Matt Goldberg on undercover investigations.
- Conducted interviews & used computer-assisted reporting for investigative and consumer sweeps stories.
- Coordinated stakeouts & confronted officials, business owners & other individuals breaking the law.
- Worked with corporate attorneys to conduct & record undercover conversations during major investigations.
USC Center on Public Diplomacy, Newsletter & Web Editor
Los Angeles, May–August 2009
- Regularly organized and compiled the CPD international newsletter.
- Conceptualized, designed and wrote regular copy for CPD’s website, brochures and print publications.
NBC News, News Channel
Los Angeles, May–August 2008
- Maintained contact with affiliates and helped research and write national reports for network correspondents.
NBC Affiliate KNBC Channel 4, News Dept.
Los Angeles, May–July 2008
- Researched, helped write stories for 11 p.m. newscast, learned studio playback system and helped calibrate new, automated studio equipment system. Updated station’s website with newest numbers during 2008 California election.
FOX News, News Dept.
Los Angeles, May–July 2008
- Pitched daily story ideas; researched, booked and conducted interviews for stories in development.
CBS Affiliate KCBS 2, Sports Dept.
Los Angeles, October 2007 – May 2008
- Logged live video, edited highlights for nightly broadcast and helped photographers and reporters on live shots.
NBC Affiliate KTVB NewsChannel 7, Sales & Promotions Dept.
Boise, ID, May–August 2007
- Paid position involved maintaining numerous websites and communicating with top advertisers. Successfully pitched advertising strategies to the station and created original promotional graphics.
The Gazette, Sports Dept.
Colorado Springs, CO, January 2006–May 2007
- Paid staff position duties included covering high school sports events, writing previews and recaps, maintaining contact with area coaches and athletes and reporting for online media. Also worked on the Denver Broncos Sunday coverage team.
ABC Affiliate KRDO NewsChannel 13, Sports Dept.
Colorado Springs, CO, May–August 2006
- Internship with anchor-reporters provided opportunities to shoot and edit video from sporting events and press conferences.
Education & Activities
University of Southern California
B.A. Broadcast Journalism, minor in Cinema-Television, emphasis in Advertising
- Annenberg TV News: Executive producer, producer, anchor, reporter, Webmaster, writer, editor, photog, art and graphics supervisor, director and technical director.
- KSCR AM 1560: Creator, executive producer and occasional host of weekly six-hour gameday broadcast USC Football Saturday.
- Daily Trojan newspaper: Opinion staff writer and Assistant Chief Copy Editor, as well as occasional writing for Sports and graphic design.
- Platforum on Trojan Vision: Producer for the weekly student roundtable discussion program, responsible for writing content.
- College Republicans & College Democrats: Promotional designer for a small number of Los Angeles political events.
CONTINUING EDUCATION PROGRAMS
University of Michigan
Internet Technology and Security
Certificate with Distinction
Comprehensive 11-week course focused on technological challenges of evolving Internet communication. Course trained in vocabulary and function of network commands and their use in modern technology.
Rigorous 15-week law school course required 100+ hours of discussion and numerous writing assignments on constitutional principles, with large focus on the First Amendment. Course trained in historical writings as well as interpretation of dozens of Supreme Court cases.
Los Angeles, June–March 2010
- Led team of 20 in development of educational website for underprivileged K-8 students and helped attract interest and LAUSD endorsement after summer school programs were canceled.
Southern California Business Film Festival
Los Angeles, November 2007–March 2009
- Co-founded festival, led PR and marketing teams and wrote speeches and all copy for screenings, panels and contests.
“Expelled” Hollywood Sneak Preview
Hollywood, CA, March–April 2008
- Assisted author and former presidential speechwriter Ben Stein and film executives in screenings of widely released documentary.
CNN Democratic Presidential Debate Series
Hollywood, CA, January 2008
- Assisted celebrities and politicians, including President Barack Obama, and helped prepare Kodak Theatre for Obama and Sen. Hillary Clinton’s debate.